"The Longest Day"

October 27, 2014  •  Leave a Comment
"The Longest Day"

Greetings and salutations, I hope this finds everyone well today. I apologize for a lack of entries, but life has been a rollercoaster ever since the end of July, when regular work started back up for me. But things are tootling along at a breakneck pace. This past weekend was no exception as I had five assignments to cover over a three-day period. The hardest day over that stretch was on Saturday, as I had two football games to cover. While I love football, shooting one game a day is a sincere physical investment. TWO games in one day can be daunting, and that was the task that I faced 48 hours ago.


First up at 11a was Rice University hosting the Mean Green of North Texas at Rice Stadium. After a shaky first half, the Owls kicked it into gear in the second on BOTH sides of the ball, scoring 27 unanswered points to win 41-21 for their fourth straight win. The game was a bit fun, despite unseasonable warm conditions. Seriously, 86 degrees in late October was BS, but it’s Houston, so it should be expected, right?


Anyways, after editing and image delivery, I packed up my gear and headed to Houston Baptist University for their 7p game against the Nicholls State Colonels.  By arrival time (3:30p), I was already feeling the effects from the first game, as I had a slight headache and a sick stomach, to go with sore legs. But I got some quick rest and got ready for the nightcap. In the game, the HBU Huskies hammered Nicholls State on the ground, rushing for over 260 yards, as they rallied in the fourth quarter to win, 31-21. The win was HBU’s first home win in the program’s infantile history and their first Southland Conference victory as well. To say that Saturday was a long day would be an understatement. My day started at 6:30a, and I didn’t make it back home until 11:30p. Long days can be common no matter the profession, but a 16-hour day speaks for itself. But honestly, while Saturday was nothing short of a marathon for me, I would gladly take it over not having anything to do at all.



The entire weekend has made me realize how far I’ve come in the last two years, as a photographer and a man. I never realized how capable I am of doing what I have been, and while my has involved some painful choices (most notably my acrimonious departure from Lutheran South Academy), those changes have been necessary, ‘cause they paved the road for better times and greater adventures……and the occasional 16-hour day on the gridiron. To those I left behind (well, MOST of them), thank you for your understanding and support.


Anyways, that’s all I’ve got for now. Many thanks, many blessings to you all. Until next time, fare the well.


No comments posted.